Re: Black Fang

From: Robert McArthur <mcarthur_at_fit.qut.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 1995 15:04:51 +1000 (EST)

> 4) Way a BFist see the world : my idea was to initiate to another

> cult (a merchant one,let say Issaries or Argan Argar), and to
> leave my priest (but not becoming renegade to the cult, for
> i think there are many priests in Pavis and the Rubble,
> each controlling many thieves in open war...).
I would doubt there are more than about 4 priests of BF in the world. There's probably about 3 rune lords as well. They are *not* a large cult, even in Pavis - you can see why when you look at the number of worshippers a cult
needs in order to give their priests anything - Pavis and environs just can't support a larger number (and probably not this many!).

You probably find a priest at the head of two or three major rings in Pavis and the Rubble with no high-priest (since it's a shaman cult).

Issaries and Argan Argar, and almost every other deity, will send spirits of reprisal down to initiates and above who break cult vows - extortion could probably be a no-no for many Issaries! Stick with being a lay member of no other cult, just a person-about-town. BF people try and be inconspicuous - being a priest of ANY cult is conspicuous - even BF. Often the BF upper class get around this by being high in some other cult that couldn't care about thieving (Orlanth, Eurmal, Raven, Donadar etc), thus fooling people.

Robert McArthur
PS. Wow, almost forget to include the scummy Lunars in the above list of cults that IMHO tolerate (or at least don't actively prosecute unless they get too big) BF-type activities.