Re: Black Fang

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idgecko.idsoftware.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 95 15:06:45 -0500

Robert MacArthur
>I would doubt there are more than about 4 priests of BF in the
>world. There's probably about 3 rune lords as well. They are
*not* >a large cult, even in Pavis

        While they are obviously a small cult, they may not be this small (or they may -- depends on your campaign needs ;) In my campaign, we play that Black Fang is known in Adari and other small settlements, and is not restricted to Pavis.

Peter Metcalfe
> Saying 'sin against god' carries (to me, at least) connotations
>that the offense was against a moral law (The Beast King should have
>kept his side of the bargain) whereas Lo Pin Po and other Kralori
>would not have distinguished offenses like these and, say,
>self-multilation of the body. He would have thought the evil-doer
>actions sinned against the natural order of things rather than a
>moral law laid down by the Great Law Giver in the Sky.

        I deny this. I believe that to the Kralori, the "natural order of things" _is_ the way God wants things to be. Not that God is arbitrary on this matter -- it's the _only_ way things can be. Pondering how to arrange a different moral law is, for the Kralori, like trying to imagine a world in which 1+1=3, or in which parents are younger than their offspring. It just can't be done.

        Hence, trying to offend against the moral law is unnatural, offensive to God, and highly self-destructive. This is of course one strong reason that the Kralori don't bother to conquer much outside their borders -- the evil outsiders will eventually go away anyway, as their suicidal policy of disobedience to natural law destroys them one by one. The great threat of the Outsider is the fearful contamination he presents.

Martin
>BTW, Sandy's source for the "write message on a tree, shoot enemy
>leader in the dark" bit is from Sun Pin's ambush of Pang Chuan in
>341 B.C

        You bastard. You won't let anyone think I'm original, eh? I have not read the Cartoon History of the Universe, in which it apparently appears, but rather got it from other Chinese military documents.

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #132