Greedy dwarfs

From: ramos_at_crpp.u-bordeaux.fr
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 1995 10:29:58 GMT

Erik Sieurin and me still muse on dwarfs. After talking about elves, Erik wants to know why dwarfs are popularly greedy and selfish in Glorantha.

        Well, the dwarven race as a whole is definitively selfish, as their objectives have no concern for anybody else. Individually, they are so worried about losing their inmortality and their position that anybody else is a distant second importance.

        Greed, however, must be considered from a human viewpoint. Most contact humans have with dwarfs are trading posts, where dwarfs only trade if they clearly win something, and do not hide it. The dwarven tendency to react with extreme prejudice when one of their possessions is stolen only adds to the image of grasping dwarfs.

        This trait of not giving secrets away is ingrained in all dwarfs, and many consider objects as the symbol of the secret of their manufacture. So a dwarf PC would never (usually) think of giving any dwarf made thing to an outsider, unless it is an exchange approved by a superior. That seems greedy.

        Changing to Krarsht and dwarfs, I bet there are special Bug-hunters sqads, with powered armor, fancy weapons and bad attitude in most dwarven strongholds. Tunnelship Troopers!

        BTW, Krarshtkids are not mindless, so any incursion in dwarven territory is bound to be deliberate.
A bientot, Jose