Re: elves are too smart

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idgecko.idsoftware.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 95 11:22:42 -0500

Erik Sleurin
>Regarding turning Gloranthan "reality" into game stats: Why do
>Aldryami have such high INT?

        Why not ask, "Why are humans so dense?" Why not? Elves _seemed_ like they ought to be smart when we wrote them up. One game-excuse which you may want to consider is that perhaps elves tap into Aldrya's consciousness, which boosts their INT.

>Is it a remnant of the general Other Game idea that Elves Are >Better?

        Possibly. Why else would RQ's ghouls cause paralyzation? _That's_ not a feature known to ghouls in other sources.

>Isn't high INT (logics, memory, reasoning) rather a Mostali trait,
>while they may lack the intuitive part (POW?)?

        I think of dwarfs as skilled and clever, not smart. And I also think of them as potentially pretty damn magical. POW 3d6 seems reasonable.

>Why are dwarves supposed to be greedy and selfish?

        Compared to humans, they are. They may wish to devote such materials to the construction of the Machine, but they sure as hell are tight with a buck when it comes to human dealings.

        Dwarfs never tip. Dwarfs always haggle. Dwarfs are known to steal things they can't buy. They _hate_ parting with metal.

>Got Lords of Terror recently (the last on the list?), and started to
>wonder about Krasht and the Mostali.

        I'm sure the Mostali absolutely hate Krarsht. And I'm sure that somewhere there is a band of dwarfs working for her. I know of an outpost of chaotic dwarfs in the Tunneled Hills. I hadn't pictured them as pro-Krarsht, but it's a thought.

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #133