Lanbril

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_sartar.toppoint.de>
Date: Thu Mar 20 10:05:59 1997

David Cake

> Speaking of which, anyone done a 3rd edition writeup of Lanbril?

No, not yet, although I plan to use Lanbril quite extensively in Heortland's cities. IMO the criminal underworld of Heortland is dominated mostly by Krarshti, but up to a quarter of Heortland's criminals are organized in or religiously affiliated to Lanbril rings. Urbanized Heortland is more likely to have organized crime than the more barbaric Sartar, even though some sophisticated underworld exists for instance in Alone (see Griselda's origins, and family).

What deity (if any specific) did the founders of Bagnot worship? According to a friend's divination from Greg Bagnot was founded by criminals fleeing before the Lunar Empire - the place originally was written "Beg not!". (This came up with the German translation of Gloranthan names.) And the Sartar Free Army unit "Thieves Arm" makes it look like there were enough patriotic thieves in Dragon Pass and Pavis to recruit a full regiment of thugs from them.

> The RQ2 version had way too many new spells and skills, but maybe they
> are simply the range available from the whole cult, a small subset of
> which will be available in any given temple. I have given my Lanbril
> PC Divination Block, but I am not sure about their other spells.

To answer this problem, one would have to work out the local temples/shrines. Too much work for any but a fanatic...

> In my game BF is pretty much in the pocket of Krarsht currently.
> This has been deliberately fostered by GimGim, so that he is able to
> use his Krarsht connections to properly control the BF cult, and have
> a good source of assassins.

That is where IMO (or rather IMG, in my game) Black Fang and Lanbril drift apart. I'm going to stage a gang war between Lanbrili and Krarshti-dominated criminals slowly boiling in occupied Heortland, with other interest groups (like the smuggler organisation of the Gold-Gotti Issaries crooks) and independents messing things up.