Misc.

From: Nick Brooke <100270.337_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 28 Sep 95 02:34:51 EDT

Jose:

> BTW, Krarshtkids are not mindless, so any incursion in dwarven
> territory is bound to be deliberate.

Same as any car crash or mining disaster is bound to be deliberate? I mean, while this is a good point to bear in mind, it's not necessarily True.

Tim:

> Further to the recent discussion here on awakened fish and cetaceans,
> I was wondering, how do such creatures regard their fixed int relatives?

I think the way things are now is "natural". I don't have any reason to believe (yet) that there is an ongoing increase or decline in the number of naturally awakened creatures, though either case would have interesting repercussions (and would be a damn' good subject for a scenario; BTW, the most likely person to reveal a decline and start the ball rolling would be one of the last awakened creatures itself, maybe appealing to a clan or cult or tribe that shares its totem?). I think the awakened fish, beasts, birds, insects, mollusks etc. are most likely to see themselves as spokesmen and guardians for their "flock" (read in both the religious and natural sense). Think of them as trade union representatives, maybe? They could also probably mobilise hordes of the things: and here I am remembering those folk tales where the hero(ine) saves or feeds the Queen of the Ants, King of the Sparrows, Amazing Talking Fish, etc. and gets Big Help for it later.

> I'm still troubled by the Sorcery rules. Does anyone have a sorcerer
> PC (created in the course of normal game play) or a PC who uses sorcery
> extensively?

Perhaps you should post this rules question to the rq-rules-digest. It's what it's there for, after all...

Martin:

I'm surprised you gave the Sartar Cult such a vicious offensive rune spell, given Sartar's own peaceful nature ("Sartar refused to fight, and was never seen to raise weapon or magic offensively against another person"). I'd have expected rune spells similar to "Summon/Command Worshippers" (Orlanth Rex) or "Invoke Loyalty" or some such, which work on subjects, and perhaps some hybrid of "Create Market" (Issaries) and "City Harmony" (City Gods/Pavis). Sartar's early transmogrifications are "miraculous": I think his lasting legacy is that the dynasty he founded held the hotch-potch confederation of confederations of tribes together, not that he turned assassins into termites.

The word "Sartari" seems to have another meaning, though I'd never use it in gaming. (Memories of hearing "God Forgoti" at Convulsion '92 still keep me awake at night...)

But the write-up was competent, and good fun to read. More, please!

Nick