Solace

From: Akkerman, Justin <JAkkerma_at_vmcsnat2.telecom.com.au>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 95 18:03:00 EST

Peter writes in response to Nils:
The Malkioni State of Grace is Solace not bloody Nirvana! So what if the Souls of the Malkioni are for the most part undetectable by magic after death? Do you imagine a spell of a puny mortal is able to overcome the Invisible God?

Wait a minute Peter!

Just what is the Malkioni state of grace? Is it well defined like that of Nirvana or is it hazily defined like the Christian Heaven? Is Solace different for the different sects of Malkionism? If so what are the differences?

Depending on the definition of Solace I would think that souls either could effect the mundane world and hence could be detected (if only by their effects) or the could not effect the world and are undetectable by any means. The IG does not come across as one who "plays with dice". There is no "for the most part".

Malkion and IG don't interact with the world. The wizards of the church use sorcery. From my understanding sorcery is the manipulation of the natural laws of the world as they were when the IG created the whole thing. This kind of magic requires no input from the god other than the original creation. When the sorcery "Worship the Invisible God" is cast and worshippers do their thing they do not get the feeling of communion with their god as their Theyalan cousins do. The simply know that their magic points were accepted by the IG. (That is one cold god)

I think Sandy recently compared Theyalan views of the afterlife with those of Malkioni. From what he said the Malkioni State of grace IS like Nirvana from the point of view of the mundane world. _Once_you_go_you_don't_come_back_. This is significant in that it has religious/magical ramifications: The only way you get to influence the world after dying/apotheosising is by not going all the way to Solace. Because if you go all the way you wont be able to grant powers for patronage like the saints do. Therefore the Bohdisattva comparison is a valid one in that once Nirvana/Solace is attained you leave the picture. If you want to have a finger in the pie of the world you have to stick around.

I do have a rudimentary understanding of what happens to Buddhist Saints(Bohdisattvas). I do not have an understanding of Christian Saints other than what I was told as a child (you can't become one. you are born a saint.) and the fact that it takes the Vatican a while to do the paperwork. Are there any knowledgeable people who are Orthodox Christians or Catholics who can tell us what the progress and eventual status of Christian saints are? Perhaps yourself Peter? If anyone does have an answer perhaps we can use the Christian model if it is better suited to Malkioni.

Justin A.
I am sorry for the RW content of this post. I refer to the RW constructs because they are articulated and they hang together well. The more internally consistent things are the easier it is to suspend disbelief. Remember don't shade your eyes, plagiarise!