Black Fang, Sartar and Berserkers

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 1995 22:57:14 +1200

Brian Tickler:

I wrote:

>>Black Fang is _not_ worshipped by the Cult that bears his name according
>>to RQII, he is merely an intermediary for some unknown god.

Brian comments:

>I've never seen or heard anything that even remotely suggests this...but,
>then, I'm playing in a fairly isolated group and only have printed
>materials and what I read on the digests to go by...

p72 RQII Rulebook "Black Fang's spirit serves an unnamed god and can dispense rune magic to worshippers."

[on a proposal on how BF Rune Magic could be doled out among the cult at large]

>>one ring can learn a spell from another but his ring must compensate the
>>other ring with some deed, a muleload of Hazia etc. Each Shaman is
>>supposedly equal but the one that maintains the secrets of Shattering
>>is generally the strongest for obvious reasons. The system rarely breaks
>>down as each shaman knows how dependant they are on the other shamans.

>Especially with only a handful of Priest/Shamans. This kind of a setup
>would mean that only 1-2 very lucky individuals in all of Glorantha could
>readily get Shattering on a re-usable basis...

Shattering is not unique to Black Fang. The Bluepoint Myrmidrons (mentioned in Gloranthan Beastiary) also have access to it as well as I suspect a number of cults elsewhere.

Martin Laurie:

Posted a Cult description that looked alright save for:

>Special Cult Rune Magics.

>Material Change

>Greater Change

>Dissolution

I'm very iffy about these magics. The Material Change seems to allow transmutation etc. I would make access to Sartar's motion magic a divine intervention rather a runespell ('he prayed to Sartar and the shackles turned into a sword'). Instead, I would make the majority of Sartar's Runespells more in tune with City Building and enforcing the Loyalty of the Kings and Chiefs. Like for example _Shame_King_ forces a recalcitrant Tribal King who has sworn a _City_Ring_Oath_ to be magically branded with a mark of shame upon his forehead unless he mends his ways.

>Berserking:

Whilst reading this skill description, I was struck by how it could be used to implement a statement in Lords of Terror which speaks of Uroxi Berserkers being corrupted to Urainism. Permit me this modest proposal:

To allow the corruption effect, I would make it the skill such that if one achieves a critical, his gift has become magically infected and he is consumed by the berserkergang unless the berserker has been true to his cultic ideals or has ritually purified himself after deviations. When consumed by the Berserker gift, the berserker must roll the skill at the slightess provocation (ie bartender looks at you funny)

When a berserker is consumed by his rage, I would make him an involuntary initiate of the bad cult (Urain for Urox, Lodril for Zorak Zoran, Gagarth for Storm Bull etc). He becomes an inactive member of his old cult. To return to normal status, he must destroy his berserkergang gift (this psychically amputates him and renders him immune to berserking type spells). Or go on a deathwish charge (you die but go into Vahalla with no ressurection allowed) after convincing cult superiors (please give me a chance to redemn myself!). Perhaps one could grit teeth and be tied up and tortured over a period of several days while do-gooders torment you with branded irons trying to make the rage burn itself out. If successful, I imagine the skill is halved and the berserker has lost 1D6 Con in the bargain. Or one could simply sign up for the new cult and save oneself some tears...

But then I don't like berserkers so what do I know... ;)