Aeolian, Stygian, Chtonian heresies and schools of Malkion

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_sartar.toppoint.de>
Date: Thu Mar 20 10:05:59 1997

Peter Metcalfe in reply to David Cake:
>> Speaking of which, anyone done a 3rd edition writeup of Lanbril?

> I would dump all the silly gizmos and alchemy schtick for starters.
> Ditto for the thieves cant. As for the spells, I would make it that
> each ring knows a different runespell as per the black fang example
> above. I make the Lanbril cultists able to know some modest sorcery
> like Phantom Vision and/or Stupefy instead of the spirit spells
> listed.

Just another subset of Aeolian worshippers, then... <g>

> Any cultist would rarely progress beyond the student stage.
> (For those who complain that sorcery rarely arises in a barbarian
> culture whereas Lanbril is (supposedly) a member of the Orlanthi
> pantheon, thieves and thief gods are viable only in an urban
> environment.

There has been a Malkioni bishopric in Nochet even before the EWF was founded, so some sorcery was availabe in the cities for almost all of history (not counting the God Forgotten Leftarm Isles of Kethaela).

and replying to David Dunham:

>>At least, this is
>>the tack I plan to take in Naskorion, which I believe has an Aeolian
>>Heresy.

> The only problem I have with this is that the Aeolian Church seems to
> be a Holy Country faith rather than a universal thing which springs up
> whenever Orlanthi meet Malkioni.

Do I perceive a slight acceptance of my write-up of The Aeolian Church of Heortland?

Anyway, while David used the term Aeolian Heresy correctly, Peter did not:

> I would call the Naskorian faith, the
> Church of Naskorian (leaving out any mention of Aeolus)

Aeolus (at least the one proposed by David Hall's notes on the Heortland Aeolians) is a nom de guerre of the founder of the faith there. It is derived from the Greek word for wind, same as Stygian is derived from the Greek word for dark(ness) rather than the Goddess Styx. Apparently the Westerners/God Learners speak a variant of Greek...

> and have it
> labelled a Stygian Faith by 'objective' outsiders. This is apt, IMO,
> as the Duke worships Argan Argar, sponsors the temple of Zorakarkat, is
> engaged in serious hanky-panky with the trolls of Halikiv _and_ seeks to
> ressurect the Dark Empire of Stygia!

True about the Duke, and probably part of his subjects. I'm not so sure about the popularity of the Storm/Malkion combination in Naskorion, either, although I take it as proven for Otkorion and neighbouring regions. Naskorion seems to disdain its barbarian neighbours, although its northern Hsunchen neighbours likely get more disdain than the somewhat settled Storm worshippers.

> Given this record, I think the
> Church of Naskorian is more likely to be incorporating trollish gods
> rather than the storm gods of the Upland Vustrians (save for Urain and a
> few other gods like him).

Why should the Naskorion church include Urain, and not Aurochs?

And don't forget that _all_ (an Arkat all, i.e.>>85%) Dragon Pass and Pelorian Orlanthi were under trollish rule from 450 to as late as 573 ST. Naskorion may have preserved that situation even beyond the destruction of the Dark Empire. Storm and Darkness worship are not mutually exclusive, as the Torkani and some Kitori prove. Where some chose to rebel, others chose to cooperate. Naskorion is very cooperative towards trolls right now.