Dragonewt Reincarnation

From: Mike Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 1995 10:14:03 GMT

Robert McArthur <mcarthur_at_fit.qut.edu.au> wants to know:
> how long does it take for a typical
> (ha - is there such a thing) d'newt to get reborn? In DP a d'newt that is
> killed is 'reborn' in its nest and ready for action on the next _day_. I
> would have thought it would take a bit longer!
>
> Two possibilities: the 'new' newts aren't the reborn old-newts, they are just
> some other dragonnewts at the same stage from the same city... but how many do
> they have in one city???? Second possibility is that in times of high strife
> and war, they can significantly decrease the time needed for rebirth, perhaps
> at high cost later on. One day is really fast though.

The article on Dragonnewts in the last Wyrm's Footnotes implies that all the while a dragonewt is out in the world, acting and developing spiritually, back at his home City there is an egg in which his new body is growing and developing in response to his spiritual growth. So when he dies his soul leaps back to the egg for the final stages of maturing.

I would say that unless the dragonewt has reached the point at which he will advance a stage (in which case major metamorpheses are likely to take some time) then a day is quite reasonable.

Actor and Genius.
AKA Theophilus, Prince-Archbishop of the Far Isles (Arms: Purpure, an open book proper, without clasps. On the dexter page the Greek letter Alpha or. On the sinister page the letter Omega of the same. Motto: nulla spes sit in resistendo.)

Ask me about the Far Isles Medieval Society: Better living through pan-medieval anachronisms.