Re: the heresy of Naskorion

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_hamachi.pensee.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 1995 10:49:28 -0700

Joerg discussed with Peter:

>> as the Duke worships Argan Argar, sponsors the temple of Zorakarkat, is
>> engaged in serious hanky-panky with the trolls of Halikiv _and_ seeks to
>> ressurect the Dark Empire of Stygia!
>
>True about the Duke, and probably part of his subjects. I'm not so sure
>about the popularity of the Storm/Malkion combination in Naskorion,
>either, although I take it as proven for Otkorion and neighbouring
>regions. Naskorion seems to disdain its barbarian neighbours, although
>its northern Hsunchen neighbours likely get more disdain than the somewhat
>settled Storm worshippers.

Naskorion has also conquered its barbarian neighbors on occasion, so I suspect the peasantry is likely to worship the same deities they always did. Anyway, once you have a Stygian heresy, it's not as big a step to broaden the scope of the gods you worship, and become an Aeolian heresy. Probably the Duke views himself as purifying the Naskorion religion of its Windy taint, bringing it back to its Darkness roots.

Anyway, I derive MGF (maximum GM fun :-) by having the hated Naskori actually rather similar to the Delelans.

>> Given this record, I think the
>> Church of Naskorian is more likely to be incorporating trollish gods
>> rather than the storm gods of the Upland Vustrians (save for Urain and a
>> few other gods like him).
>
>Why should the Naskorion church include Urain, and not Aurochs?

Why should _anyone's_ church include Chaos Storm?

Urox has probably been especially popular in East Ralios because the original Bemuri could identify Orlanth's brother with Bemur (they could also identify Orlanth with his brother Humath, so they were easy pickings to for the Theyalan missionaries). I suspect as a result Ralian Urox has some sort of fertility aspect lacking in most versions of Urox.

But Urox doesn't seem a likely addition to a Malkioni pantheon.

David Dunham Pensee Corporation dunham_at_nw.pensee.com Voice/Fax 206 783 7404 http://www.pensee.com/dunham/

    "I say we should listen to the customers and give them what they want."     "What they want is better products for free." --Scott Adams