Ralios not Solace (thank goodness!)

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 1995 19:01:50 +1200

Joerg Baumgartner:

>> The only problem I have with this is that the Aeolian Church seems to
>> be a Holy Country faith rather than a universal thing which springs up
>> whenever Orlanthi meet Malkioni.

>Do I perceive a slight acceptance of my write-up of The Aeolian Church
>of Heortland?

I don't know. I wasn't on the net when it was first tra^H^H^H posted to the digest and the Berkeley archives don't seem to have some issues of the supplement which I presume it was posted out on...

Joerg nitpicks:

>Anyway, while David used the term Aeolian Heresy correctly, Peter did
>not:

>> I would call the Naskorian faith, the
>> Church of Naskorian (leaving out any mention of Aeolus)

>Aeolus (at least the one proposed by David Hall's notes on the Heortland
>Aeolians) is a nom de guerre of the founder of the faith there. It is
>derived from the Greek word for wind, same as Stygian is derived from the
>Greek word for dark(ness) rather than the Goddess Styx. Apparently the
>Westerners/God Learners speak a variant of Greek...

If it was the name of the Founder in Heortland, then the term probably would be unknown in Ralios. And Stygian is a perfectly normal english adjective meaning black which is useful in describing the mixture of the Black Dieties and Malkionism practiced by Arkat. It then later became expanded to include other sorts of henothiesm to such an extent Solar Southbank in Fronela is said to be Stygian. Aeolian is not a normal english word.

[On the Church of Naskorian]

>> and have it
>> labelled a Stygian Faith by 'objective' outsiders. This is apt, IMO,
>> as the Duke worships Argan Argar, sponsors the temple of Zorakarkat, is
>> engaged in serious hanky-panky with the trolls of Halikiv _and_ seeks to
>> ressurect the Dark Empire of Stygia!

>True about the Duke, and probably part of his subjects.

Considering that 'All Naskorion belongs to its Duke, and though several privileged government positions are heriditary, none of the lands are enfiefed', I would consider most of the official worship ceremonies to be darkness orientated. The rural population (which is recognized as Orlanthi according to the Census) probably conducts ragtag ceremonies to Orlanth and Ernalda and subsidize the official ceremonies heavily.

>I'm not so sure
>about the popularity of the Storm/Malkion combination in Naskorion,
>either, although I take it as proven for Otkorion and neighbouring
>regions.

Um, the neighbouring regions around Otkorion are Borin where the Borists hang out, Holut where the Galvosti hold sway and Tinaros which is ruled by Argin Terror the Nightmare Sorcerer. I assume Argin is the unnamed Third Man seeking to bring about the Dark Empire and also highly uninterested in Storm Worship. I think Otkorion is in the process of combining Storm and Malkionism considering that Valantia is a Safestran City which was ruled by Rokari Seshnela over a century ago and only recently has Orlanthi become a major presence there (due to a mass migration from Lankst about 10 years ago).

>Naskorion seems to disdain its barbarian neighbours, although
>its northern Hsunchen neighbours likely get more disdain than the somewhat
>settled Storm worshippers.

The Naskorions are of the Korioni branch of the Enerali whereas the Storm Worshippers of Delela and Saug are Vustrians. Historically they have never liked each other and I expect the Naskorion to give the Highlanders the same amount of disdain as the Hsunchen. I think there will be noticiable differences between the worship of Orlanth in Naskorion and Orlanth in the East Wilds.

>> Given this record, I think the
>> Church of Naskorian is more likely to be incorporating trollish gods
>> rather than the storm gods of the Upland Vustrians (save for Urain and a
>> few other gods like him).

>Why should the Naskorion church include Urain, and not Aurochs?

Urain's a murderous psycho and a perfect component to the armies of the Duke IMO. Urox in Ralios (as David Dunham points out) is more associated with the Hsunchen Bemuri and thus would be disliked in Naskorion, I feel.

David Dunham:

>>Why should the Naskorion church include Urain, and not Aurochs?

>Why should _anyone's_ church include Chaos Storm?

Who says Urain is Chaos Storm? He is the _Bad_ Storm in my book. This doesn't mean he's chaos. He could be a real mean SOB and be as morally rephrensible as Ikadz, Ompalam, Sikkanos, Zorak Zoran (Human worshippers) or Jaktral.