Solace

From: Nils Weinander <niwe_at_ppvku.ericsson.se>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 1995 14:53:16 +0100

Joerg:
>Actually, most accomplished Saints of Malkionism attained Solace,
>but they somehow prefer to stay around.

Exactly my point: the saints are virtuous enough to reach solace, they are even so virtuous that they postpone their arival in order to help others. Sort of hanging around at the gate and ushering the rest of us in there.

Me:
>what sacrifice could be greater than the
> great prophet's: he shed his divinity and became a man

Joerg:
>As far as I am concerned, Malkion did this when the difference between
>(immortal) men and deities wasn't that great in the Kingdom of Logic.

My blasphemous theory of this event is that Malkion was the god of a people who were so horrified by the death of Grandfather Mortal that they renounced the gods for doing such heionous acts (the future Brithini). Malkion saw that and shed his divinity to stay in power. Then his followers have retconned this into a selfless sacrifice.

Peter:
>>The Malkioni State of Grace is Solace not bloody Nirvana!

Justin:
>From what he said the Malkioni State of grace IS like Nirvana
>from the point of view of the mundane world.

I have to agree with Peter here. There is a big difference between Solace and Nirvana. As I understand Solace, the souls which go there retain their individual identity and live in eternal bliss. In Nirvana, all traces of individual consciousness are supposed to dissolve.

Apart from that, I think you have missed the point Peter. I can't speak for Justin, but I don't mean to equate Solace and Nirvana, or Malkioni saints and bodhisattvas. I'm using bodhisattvas as a good analogy for how Malkioni saints are viewed by their worshippers. Solace and sainthood are vaguely defined, purposefully so I guess, and the bodhisattva analogy works fine for me.

Sure, the Malkioni western culture is inspired by medieval Europe, but it's always good to have a backup analogy. The purpose of the analogy is not to say that a Gloranthan phenomenon is exactly like an earthly equivalent, but to give me a fixed point to build an image around.

Nick:
>Loren, I'm still having problems receiving the Digest at this end (nos. 134 to
>137 haven't come through). These are problems I didn't have before the recent
>fiddle with your mailing software...

Same here. I had to look up 134-137 from the WWW page.

Nils W				| Here we are!
Office: niwe_at_ppvku.ericsson.se	| We sail on a ship made of dreams.
Home: nilsw_at_ibm.net