Re: Dragonewts

From: Frank & Stacie Giles <fsgiles_at_pixi.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 1995 09:34:22 -1000

 Robert McArthur writes

>Two possibilities: the 'new' newts aren't the reborn old-newts, they are just
>some other dragonnewts at the same stage from the same city... but how many do
>they have in one city???? Second possibility is that in times of high strife
>and war, they can significantly decrease the time needed for rebirth, perhaps
>at high cost later on. One day is really fast though.

Having made up a scenario which begins when the entire "Spiritually pure" population dragonnewt city summons the Sun Dragon down to glasstop hill in Sartar for a ritual of purification (Potential title "And the Sun also rises - - Twice!) and are susequently vaporized. Our heros being hired shortly thereafter by an old "Sage" to go in and get a dragonnewt egg. (It being useful as the main ingredient for immortality potion. One of the PCs got a dose of it and later through heroquesting obtained enough self-knowledge, self-confidence,and spiritual purity to become a "warrior" human - but that's another story). IMO dragonnewts do take some time to emerge again from the egg after their physical forms are destroyed. I was figuring on a week or two under normal conditions, perhaps longer if the dragonnewt is undergoing a status change. (I assume that change in status is a discontinuous process, ie. scout today, warrior tommorrow.) Since the new body could easily be growing and developing in the egg while the dragonnewt still lived, it is certainly possible that the process of rebirth could be much shorter, but that didn't work with my scenario and so I decided against it.

As an aside, the main encounters inside the city were the cities defensive equipment (they could drain a small lake and a large pile of boulders into the entry cavern), poisonous and hallucenegenic plants, tame dinosaurs, large spirits, and a handful of repentant renegades who were sweeping under the direction of an advanced scout and just happened to have their greatsword, pole-ax and pike handy.

Interested in other opinions

Frank Giles

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #140