Dwarf Gold and Bodhisatvas

From: Torres, Capt Timothy M <TORRESTM.HQAMC_at_MHS.SAFB.AF.MIL>
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 1995 08:31 CDT

I found Sandy's comments somewhat contradictory: <I don't believe there is any such thing as electricity in Glorantha...> and <Gold, when properly treated will glow...> If we don't know there's electricity in Glorantha, how do we know that gold when properly treated glows? But the apparent paradox and its sophist solution aren't important. Dwarves crave gold because it has a multitude of uses, whether based on its runic association with fire or based on its natural properties. For that matter, is there a difference between its runic association with fire and its natural properties which seem tied up in the Aristotelian element of fire? After all, it's warm, it's malleable, it's found in the earth, it's really pretty, and it conducts or fosters energy of many kinds: heat, light, electricity, and (when properly tempered) magic. And when alloyed with iron, copper, aluminum and other metals . . .

Nils, keep using your boddhisatva analogy. I'm working on introducing a Malkioni mystic (NPC) into my campaign, and I'm one of those new thought heretics who doesn't find much material difference between Christian and Eastern mystics. My Malkioni draw from both traditions.