Re: Sandy grumbles a bit.

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idgecko.idsoftware.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 95 13:33:50 -0500

>IMO the crusaders did not succeed in colonising the Levant because
>they did not have enough incomming population to resettle the
cities

        For what it's worth, they also didn't have a clear edge in combat over the Saracens, which was a problem.

Torrest M.
>I found Sandy's comments somewhat contradictory: <I don't believe
>there is any such thing as electricity in Glorantha...> and <Gold,
>when properly treated will glow...> If we don't know there's
>electricity in Glorantha, how do we know that gold when properly
>treated glows?

        Why is this contradictory? Glowing gold is a matter of record. Since the earliest RQ publications there have been indications that there are ways to make gold glow. Electricity is a different matter entirely.

        Gold glows because it is the Metal of Light, and is presumably partly made of Sky molecules or whate'er the Gloranthan equivalent. A simple process (say, enchanting it for instance) serves to release the power of the Sky contained within it and presto! Glowing gold.

Erik Sleurin
>Do you think it is possible to split the "sky-metal" gold into the
>two components of fire, light and heat? Some alchemical process,
>perhaps.

        Why not? The idea of Hot Gold and Light Gold sounds good to me.

>Which metals do corrode in Glorantha, and how? Does iron rust,
>for instance? As I get it, iron is the most easily corrodible (?)
>metal on Earth (of the earthly equivalents to the rune-metals
>mentioned in Elder Secrets).

        Enchanted iron doesn't rust of course, but I picture old iron sitting around as rusting. Maybe not as fast as earth. And I definitely see Copper and Bronze as corrosion-prone.

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #145