Translations and the Puzzle Canal

From: Erik Sieurin <BV9521_at_utb.hb.se>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 1995 11:50:29 +0100

POPEJ:
> I have always worked on the assumption
> that words in our descriptions of Glorantha which are obviously taken from
> terrestrial languages do not necessarily (or probably) represent the
> actual words spoken in Glorantha, but are translations. Thus, broo,
> Orlanth, and Danfive Xaron (however pronounced) are probably Gloranthan
> words; troll, dragon, Apple Lane, Aeolian, exarch, etc. are translations.
I mostly agree, but what about words that obviously are names, but which seems to be borrowed from early equivalents? Styx is the most obvious example; my players long before me interpreted Vivamort as "viva mort", "long live death" (?!) or something like that, for a more dubious example. And what about Arachne Solara, "Spider of the Sun (?)"? Why doesn't she get an English translation? (No, I do not demand one; just like smart elves, I work according to the principle: "This has a reason, it is just that I do not know it or understand it." An explanation could for instance be that the Theyalan cultures uses a loan-word for Arachne Solara, and that is represented by having a non-English translation.)

And by the way, any more information on the Puzzle Canal is welcome. And I don't have any RQ2 supplements, so don't direct me to them, give a short synopsis of what they say instead, please.

Meanwhile, just so you know it, all Repairs are on Schedule. The Plan is working perfectly.

Erik Sieurin