Lethe

From: Nick Brooke <100270.337_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 13 Oct 95 04:16:26 EDT

Brian asks:

>> Another important thing about the Styx is that its waters make you forget >> things, just like the classical Lethe.

> I had also thought of this but couldn't remember anything from classical
> greek mythology to back this up. I did, however, remember it had this effect
> in _another_ gaming system. (*)

> So, is the above 'true' to classical greek mythology, or just to the
> gloranthan styx, or both?

Now, in my experience, Brian usually asks questions he already knows the answer to. But just for the record, the name "Lethe" in Greek is derived from the verb "to forget" (letho). They don't come much clearer than that!

Some good examples of the perils (to passing motorists) and uses (by the CIA, even) of Lethe water are in Janet Morris & CJ Cherryh's unusual novels "The Gates of Hell" and "Kings in Hell".

Nick

(*) - My knowledge of most mythologies is, of course, entirely derived from TSR's excellent sourcebook, "Gods, Demigods and Heroes". When you've read that staggeringly competent introduction, who needs the real thing any more?