Re: Genertelan Art of War

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cs.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 1995 12:28:39 +0800

> Note that the two areas in which the Lunars are weakest are
>light cavalry (especially) and light infantry. This is probably
>because their magicians make up for this failing in large part.

        I thought the Lunars had a big supply of light infantry - I figured that most of the Native Furthest Corps were light inf, though they may be short of light inf in the Heartland Corps. Are all those peltasts light inf?

        I agree about the light cav. though, most of the Lunar cavalry is pretty heavy, and they don't have the light skirmish cavalry troops like the Bush Range units. Which is probably the reason why they have so many units in Prax - the nomads, who contain quite a lot of light cav, are very effective versus the Lunar Sable Riders heavy cav. Which normally wouldn't be a big problem, because of the Lunar good supplies of Heavy Infantry, but as the heavy inf are pretty useless on the plains, they are only useful defensively. In order to actually decisively control the nomads they need to a) get some light cav from somewhere - not a trivial task, which explains why they are keen to maintain good relations with the Sable nomads, as it is a lot easier than training up their own light cav just for the Prax campaign. or
b) try to control all the oases, where their heavy inf. can usually hold the field - but they have nowhere near enough troops or
c) lure the nomads into set piece battles, where their heavy inf and heavy cav and superiour magical support can really smack the nomads. The nomads where dumb enough to fall for this at Moonbroth, and wil probably fall for it again, but it will be more difficult as the Khans learn to avoid it.

        The stuff on the Praxians was great!

        It has started me thinking about Dragon Pass - in terms of which
forces have which type of troops, etc. - though I have to admit, all this stuff doesn't come across in the Dragon Pass rules. There, light cav are rather useless - whereas, it seems, it should be of great strategic importance, as the best counter to the Lunar good supplies of heavy cav (making the Grazelanders one of the more important independants).

        Cheers

                David

Computing Officer    |" Life is easily understood as bit strings of logical
Arts Faculty UWA     |depth greater than their length" - Rebis, Doom Patrol
davidc_at_cs.uwa.edu.au |" Do not think, HIT, it is our way" - Milk & Cheese