Burning Red Moon

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 1995 21:52:35 +1300

Andrew Joelson:

I wrote:

>> I think that the Lunars acknowlege the Redness of the Moon is an
>> Imperfection. At the present the Moon is glowing 'red' hot and
>> not shining full glory in the Silver Color that it should be.....

Andrew:

> Egads! That's the first I've heard of any such a philosophy.

Well they won't actually phrase it like that. They view the Moon's Redness as imperfect as Yelm's obedience to the cycles of Night and Day. Something which is magnificient enough as is but will be Even Better when the World is restored to its Proper Form.

>I thought the Crimson Bat's glow changed to red after being bound by the
>RMG as a reflection of her superiority.

The Broken Council Writeups do speak of the Scarlet Bat. I suppose it changed its colour slightly after being bound by the Red Goddess into the Lunar Cycles.

> I had also understood the White Moon pacifists as speaking of
>another moon rising that was white, not that the Red Moon was going to
>change color.

That's the Pelorian Hill Barbarians. They believe the White Moon cannot rise until the Red Moon is pulled down. The White Moonies are so spaced out on Hazia that they probably believe this as well. The Official Lunar Doctrine is that the Red Moon will become White when her worship has been accepted by the Whole World (which according to the Lunar PoV appears to be West-Central Genertela).

> If the Red Moon is really red hot, how can anybody live nearby?

Well look at this way. Ever wonder why the winters in Peloria are getting less severe? It's getting warmer! She's far away in the sky that her radiations have little effect on those in Glorantha whereas those Heroes who walk on the surface of the Moon are adpated to live in her full glory. Lesser mortals have their brains cooked (which manifests as madness) if they get too close...