Re: the Arts of War

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cs.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 1995 16:42:53 +0800

>Loskalm could have professional light infantry in their army but are
>too engrossed in maintaining their idealism to come to terms with the
>harsh necessities of military realism. Which is why the Kingdom of War
>is beating them...

        To the Loskalmi way of life, soldier is only a step on the way to knight. So why would you want training in fighting light, missile arms, and skirmishing tactics, as all that will become irrelevent once you become a knight?

        They are misguided, of course, but the Loskalmi fighting tradition has for the last few decades been used either against opponents with no real military training, or to impress the girls and show off to your betters. It has been a long time since they have had a serious war. Boy, are they going to get their butts kicked when they meet the Kingdom of War (who field just about everything).

        Trolls are an interesting case - they probably often amount to the
heaviest light infantry you'll ever see, as they have strong, well armoured skirmish and missile troops. So if they are in a situation where light infantry would be effective, they are terrifying.

        Cheers

                David
Computing Officer    |" Life is easily understood as bit strings of logical
Arts Faculty UWA     |depth greater than their length" - Rebis, Doom Patrol
davidc_at_cs.uwa.edu.au |" Do not think, HIT, it is our way" - Milk & Cheese