Harrek the Bald...

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 1995 22:28:46 +1300

Martin Laurie:

>He [Harrek] can control the power flow around
>him? To what range? Does that mean that if you attack him with rune magic
>running then he can simply dispel it? If he controls the power flow surely he
>could redirect spells cast at him and his mates, even reflect them?

Nope. Look at KoS. Harrek is struck by a Huge Sunspear which only melted his armour and made him really mad. If he had the power Sandy suggested he has (I'm sure Sandy misspoke!) he would have turned the Sunspear on the priests. Harrek could learn such a power but doesn't have the time or inclination to. I think his 'Mastery of the Infinity Rune' manifests itself in subconcious ways: ie if someone hits Harrek with a sword, then the sword will bounce of Harrek without him taking any damage or seemingly using magic.

>(2). How on Glorantha did he knobble the Polar Bear god? I mean I know he's
>an experienced and lethal dart competitor and I know he's a natural for
>spotting weakness on the hero or god plane but this is a God we are talking
>here.

Pshaw. 'God' is a rhetorical flourish here. The Polar Bear God is a spirit worshipped by the Rathori. It's not as if Harrek killed Valind, Yelm, Mostal or other Elemental dieties. As for how Harrek managed to kill the Polar Bear God, Nick's Harrek the Dreamer hypothesis is the best explanation I've heard. Simply stated, Harrek had heaps of experience with Heroquesting from all the 'dry-runs' he did whilst sleeping under the ban. When he starts really Heroquesting, he knows all the stuff instinctively.

>(3). He is master of the infinity rune, therefore immortal. So where does he
>go? After the fall of the Red Moon does he go back to Pamaltela or what? He
>doesn't seem the type to do an Arkat and retire somewhere.

Harrek seems to have passed on before Argrath returned from the Light bringers Quest. The glosser of Argrath's Saga points out that Harreksaga does not mention him helping Argrath in his final battle against the Red Moon making his presence at that battle a spurious invention.

He didn't go back to his Kingdom in Pamaltela, that much is known (cf his writeup in G:CotHW). I think that what happened is that when Argrath left on the LBQ, Harrek was badly wounded at the battle of Bagnot (where he killed JarEel). Maddened with Pain, he cast himself into the Vent hoping for release. Kinda of like what Hercules did after recieving poor customer satisfaction from Nessus Shirt Company. After he departed, the Lunars took over and founded the Good Empire.

>(4). He is meant to be a great leader. Does this imply that, like Conan, he's
>deadly but has a brain? I know he'd be inspiring to follow but being super
>personally deadly does not a good general make. Any ideas anyone?

Well, he has this nasty habit of demoralising the enemy making it very difficult for them to follow their battle plans. With such an advantage, who needs fancy tactics anyway?

>Arkat was probably as tough, if not tougher (maybe
>magically) but he was totally driven by his desire to crush Gbaji, hence his
>endless quest for more powers. Harrek just wanders about, looting and killing.
>But WHY?

Harrek's doing what Harrek sees as worthwhile. Rathori Society clearly is to blame.

Of course I have another theory that Harrek suffers from premature baldness. He kills the Polar Bear God and wears its skin as a toupe to hid his crowning glory (have you ever seen him with it off?). Harrek is searching for the land where the gods Comb and Braid are found so he can grow back his lost hair. This explains the circumnavigation epic. Harrek doesn't find it due to his unfortunate habit of killing first and ask questions later.