Illusion Magic

From: David Cheng <drcheng_at_stern.nyu.edu>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 95 13:07:16 EDT

I'd like to take Robert McArthur to task over Illusion magic.

In V2 #154, he considers it a flaw that only Tricksters and Puppeteers get illusion magic, lamenting the lost military value.

I consider the restrictions a _virtue_. It makes _cultural_ sense that these rare practitioners get illusion magic.

I would very much like to avoid the thinking "hey, it would be great if my soldiers could get this, and that, and a little bit of this too..." This is just a little too close to the D&D fighter with his Boots of Levitation, Ring of Spell Turning, Elven Cloak, Helm of True-Seeing..., for my comfort level.

The pattern we see in Glorantha is 'people make the best of what they've got.' The Lunars have one of the biggest empires, and they've got a lot more than most already. We don't need to go out of our way to give them even more.