Re: Illusion magic

From: GAWINTER_at_aol.com
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 1995 08:34:22 -0400

In a message dated 95-10-19 01:36:05 EDT, Robert McArthur writes:

>Sorry David to touch a nerve - one of mine! I happen to like the idea of
>illusions and change and was sore that these get short change IMHO in
>Glorantha. I have no problem with only those cults that currently have
>access to illusion being the only ones. The problem I see is that the
>actual spell mechanics are grossly flawed in result compared to power input
>required. That is, it takes far too much power to create a certain result.

Gloranthan Illusion magic bites, but it is not quite what we think of as illusions. The gloranthan illusion is temporary reality, ex the Illusion of gold, is really gold for 15 minutes you can spend it, shape it whatever. Possibly the Illusion of an Iron sword is REALLY an iron sword. My friend played an Eurmali and his favorite weapon was his illusionary bastard sword which he neglected to give a visual componant. It was a temporary version of the famous invisible swords.

We allowed the illusion rune magic to be used as daily Spirit magic for the purpose of creating "unreal" illusions and it worked out just fine. Still big illusions are best left to the pupeteers.