Re: Glorantha Digest V2 #157

From: Kevin Rose <vladt_at_interaccess.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 1995 12:44:18 -0500 (CDT)

 David Cake said
> To the Loskalmi way of life, soldier is only a step on the way to
> knight. So why would you want training in fighting light, missile arms, and
> skirmishing tactics, as all that will become irrelevent once you become a
> knight?

        You could say that knight is only a step on the way to wizard. As all the combat skills become irrelevant when you become a wizard, why learn how to deliver lance charges, manuver in formation, and do all those sorts of things?

        Heck, as farmer is just a step on the way to soldier, why should anyone learn how to actually be farmer?

        There are several possible answers to these questions. The obvious one (to me, anyway) is the old Soviet Army one: "If you don't know how, we'll show you. If you don't want to, we'll force you." Having an attitude problem is not the sort of thing that results is one getting ahead in most organizations. I would expect that the knight who runs a company of crossbowmen has a pretty good idea as to what a competent soldier needs to know. And if you don't perform for him, you don't need to worry about promotion.

Kevin Rose