Re: Glorantha Digest V2 #160

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cs.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 1995 10:50:53 +0800

At 19:04 19/10/95 -0400, you wrote:

> David Cake said
>> To the Loskalmi way of life, soldier is only a step on the way to
>> knight. So why would you want training in fighting light, missile arms, and
>> skirmishing tactics, as all that will become irrelevent once you become a
>> knight?
>
> You could say that knight is only a step on the way to wizard. As
>all the combat skills become irrelevant when you become a wizard, why
>learn how to deliver lance charges, manuver in formation, and do all those
>sorts of things?

        Why, because you need to be the best knight you can in order to become a wizard. Besides, those combat skills are not irrelevent if you want to become a Grand Knight and from thence proceed to the Lords Military. If you aren't good at lance charges and working in formation, then you'll probably be made parish wizard to some backwater town instead.

> Heck, as farmer is just a step on the way to soldier, why should
>anyone learn how to actually be farmer?

        Because if you don't learn something about farming, then you have no food. Besides, I am sure lots of farmers sons would rather study combat than farming, its just that they can't make a living that way. So they study farming so that one day they can become a soldier.

        My point is that there are numerous good reasons why the Loskalmi (or anyone else) would want lots of skirmish troops, but there are not so many good reasons why anyone would want to become one, when the heavy infantry is a much better path to social acclaim and success.

        And while there are probably solid, sensible, veterans in the
Loaskalmi army who realise its problems, I tend to feel (like Nick and others) that the idealism and individuality of Loskalm society has led to some problems, combined with their naivity in military matters. You are free to conclude that there system has no inherent problems, but it is so much more fun if it does.

        I agree with everything Sandy says about KOW vs Loskalm, and he says it far better than I could. I had forgotten that the KOW are almost entirely mounted, as well.

        Cheers

                David
Computing Officer    |" Life is easily understood as bit strings of logical
Arts Faculty UWA     |depth greater than their length" - Rebis, Doom Patrol
davidc_at_cs.uwa.edu.au |" Do not think, HIT, it is our way" - Milk & Cheese