Re: Heavy vs Light

From: Kevin Rose <vladt_at_interaccess.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 1995 18:11:50 -0500 (CDT)

David Gadbois
said
> Well, that seems to be exactly the problem: I think most folks here are
> used to using heavy/light to differentiate on the basis of armor and
> weaponry, and Archer Jones' neologisms are confusing us all. Why not
> use missile/melee, foo/bar, or something, anything but light/heavy,
> to capture his meaning?

How about "shock" vs "firepower"? Definitons taken from "Arrows Against Steel."

One problem that a totally mounted force has historically had is taking fortications. Crossbows are much easier to make than composite bows, and much easier to learn to shoot. 1000 crossbow armed men on a 20 ft high wall behind a 20 ft wide moat can hold off a hell of a lot of horse archers and lancers.

The Mongol solution to this problem generally involved lots of Chinese infantry and engineers. Not normally a viable tactic in Glorantha.

Kevin Rose

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #164