Coordinated Grand Magics

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_sartar.toppoint.de>
Date: Thu Mar 20 10:06:02 1997

David Cake replying to Robert MacArthur on illusion magics:

> Actually, I kind of agree with Rob in a way. No, I don't think
> everybody should have illusion magic, or even all those connected to
> the illusion rune - I agree that illusion magic is special and rare.
> But I do think that most Gloranthan illusion magic is too weak.

Not really too weak - rather too real. There seems to be too much "create out of nothing" magic, and too little "colourful befuddle", at least in official RuneQuest. An illusionary force able to do real damage should be as costly as it is. After all, a Size 50 illusionary fist probably could lift the ring of Alkoth and allow an invading army to crawl over or under it. "Illusions" are described as temporal reality (shift).

> I want the Puppeteer Troupe - and I want then to be able to do
> outrageous illusions. I would prefer that this was accomplished in
> game terms by giving them great illusion spells, rather than just
> giving them the same old spells, and waving your hands and saying
> 'oh, they probably have around 50 points of spells each, though'.

I wouldn't. Their illusionary armies are the result of the combined efforts of the whole troupe, which means that there are (rulespeak alert) a few points of the spell in question, and a vast amount of pooled power, probably creating exponential stacking effects, similar to (RQ3) Extension.

> And for that matter, the Lunars should occasionally have access
> to great illusions too. Or to be more precise, I believe the Irrippi
> Ontor power of Glamour should be pretty effective when they use it.

IMO this Glamour would be an illusion of the mind-affecting type rather than the temporal reality type. Something much cheaper, on a RQ-character scale, although likely as craving in a group effort as any other Exotic Ability.

> In fact, I might even propose a better solution right now, as it
> comes to me in a flash of inspiration - perhaps the really effective
> illusionists have access to illusion spells that are made more
> powerful by more magic point. I.e. perhaps the area of effect of
> an Illusionary Sight, for example, can be increased by stacking mps
> with it.

Oh, no. Not another Axe Trance discussion, and follow-up on the Rules Digest, please.

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #165