Harrek appreciated; How the Grinch Stole Orlanth

From: Carlson, Pam <carlsonp_at_wdni.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 95 14:03:00 PDT

David Cake makes a good point for Harrek being a competant magician: Harrek has to be, if he's a highly successful individual in Glorantha.

But I disagree with David a bit about the Lunars not appreciating or understanding Harrek.

> Unable to understand how such an obvious barbarian could defeat their
[the Lunars'] most skilled
magicians, they make deprecating noises about how he most have some low cunning and unconsious knowledge, and how he is not a real hero, just a guy with a big powerful magic item and a vicious streak.

I imagine there is one group of Lunars who greatly appreciate Harrek's power, and completely understand how he wades through Lunar magic. The stalwart Shargashi hanging about the Enclosures in Alkoth no doubt thrill to tales of Harrek mopping the hills with Sedenya's best. My guess is that their big problem with Harrek's power is envy.

Sandy - thanks (I think) for the description of Pentan city-taking tactics.

Hannu asks what Orlanth worship would be like under Lunar occupation, without temples. Our pet theory (largely derived by Jeff Richard) is that the Orlanthi don't really need physical temples to worship. Enough people and a godi on a windy hilltop will do. Add to that, Sartar is full of sacred sites marked with with small shrines (already sanctified). If you need a great temple, there's the Old Wind Temple, and possibly the one in Whitewall. They are likely short on runies, though. High death rate.

The Lunars, founded on a tradition of temple-happy Yelmies, think that wiping out the temples will wipe out Orlanth worship. Has Dr. Suess made it to Finland? Think of the Grinch as Tatius and the Whos as the Sartarites...

Pam