Glorantha Digest V2 #158 (fwd)

From: Majordomo <major_at_hops.wharton.upenn.edu>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 1995 17:05:34 -0400 (EDT)

Forwarded message:
From: hasni_at_big10.metrobbs.com
Subject: Glorantha Digest V2 #158
To: glorantha-digest-owner_at_hops.wharton.upenn.edu
IG>>Sorry David to touch a nerve - one of mine!  I happen to like the idea of
IG>>illusions and change and was sore that these get short change IMHO in
IG>>Glorantha.  I have no problem with only those cults that currently have
IG>>access to illusion being the only ones.  The problem I see is that the
IG>>actual spell mechanics are grossly flawed in result compared to power input
IG>>required.  That is, it takes far too much power to create a certain result.

Oops, I forgot to capture the part about who I was responding too!

IG, unless I am mistaken, there are many Sorcery Illusions. Ok, so the Orlanthi won't touch that evilness, but there is no reason why the lunars or westerners can't use them effectivly. Ok, so one warrior with a "big sword" would take, lets see...

        10 intensity touch for 1D10 damage
        24 intensity sight for a size 12 guy, that looks solid
         0 intensity for smell (Who needs it, lots of sweaty guys
         around)
         7 intensity for the sound of his sword smakcing people.
         4 duration to let him last for a while.

Ok, so you'd have to multi-spell like 60 free int worth of stuff, or maybe you could do it in pieces- first the sight to make the size, then sight to make the opaqness, then sound, then the touch. Hm, but then you'd have to add duration for each one.

I guess you need a wizard with like a 10point illusion focusing crystal. Maybe there is a Eurmali out there with "Create illusion focusign crystal" as a Divine spell...

Maybe it should be bound into a staff with a sorcerous magic spirt that can concentrate on the silly illusion. Geez, it's a shame...it IS a lot of work to make one stupid illusion.

How about a Eurmali divine spell called "Copy illusion"- A one point spell that will make a copy of an illusion that will last for fifteen minutes. Maybe you can stack a hundred to get a small army...

Actually, that would work nicely with the Divine Illusion spells, say, make your five-divine point illusion, then start making one-point copies of them...

Hasni Mubarak

Subject: The West

If anybody has any more unpublished information Seshnella, I'd appreciate e-mail copies or FTP sites containing them. I started off a party of sailors in the Nolos Navy, but am scared to have them actually land and interact with the people there!

Luckily, they just sank their ship and are sorta stranded on an island.

"Gee skipper, I just plum forgot about the opening Ritual!"

Hasni Mubarak