Harrek and Fumblers

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 1995 11:57:51 +1300

David Cake:

>Dave Cheng and I disagree on whether Harrek is a magician

*Ahem* Unless Nick has done something unspeakable to David Cheng, I think it was me who said that.

>>Harrek Is Not A Magician.

> Dave, that is not quite what I meant. When I used the term magician,
>I meant it in a very Gloranthan sense, I certainly didn't mean that he was a
>guy who stood around in a pointy hat letting off fireballs.

> What I mean by 'Harrek is an powerful magician' is Harrek is capable
>of defeating virtually any magical threat, and he himself performs some
>exceptional magical acts.

Then what's wrong with Hero for this usage then. Would you call a Sartarite Godi a magician? This is the neoglism thing all over again.

> To put it in your terms, when Harrek massacres an army unit, I think
>he (after first making an informed tactical evaluation) calls on his magical
>powers to make himself very personally,

'informed tactical evaluation'. Yuck. For love of Glod, the guy's a berserker! At the battle of Pennel fords, he charged the people who pissed him off rather than the Lunars and nearly caused his own side to lose! >>=-> Think Image! <-=<<

>makes perhaps excursions into the heroplane to destroy their magical
>support, calls on other powers to weaken the unit (perhaps dstroying
>the morale),

Yuck. Harrek is not a Shaman or a Wonderworker. He doesn't need 'other powers' when he has enough (too much) of his own. Roaring his head off demoralises most units just fine. The only time when you'll see Harrek on the Heroplane, IMHO, is when he has heard of something that he wants and is looking for it. Think Conan and the Raider ethos. Complicated Powerplays like 'if I loot the Bat-Planet then the Crimson Bat will be weakened for the coming battle' are unlikely to occur to him. He would be more likely to go by 'On the planet Tolat, there lives an ancient Hero called Palangio who fought the Scarlet Bat in the Days of Old. If I kill him and take his spear by which he slew the Bat, than I too will be able to kill this Crimson Bat.' >>=-> Think Image! <-=<<

>and when he has made himself
>berserk and outrageously powerful, he leads a terrifying wolf pirate charge.

He does not make himself berserk. He works himself into a rage and his berserkergang comes naturally. However it helps if the other people (aka poor bastards) happened to have annoyed him greviously.

>Think of what even a powerful Storm Khan does in combat - he might charge in
>a berserk rage and chop his foes to bits, but he casts magic on himself and
>his followers first, has powerful guardian spirits either enhancing or
>protecting him, and probably even casts a few spells to neutralise enemy
>magical support first (Command Spirit of Law, or summon a Sylph). He may
>even make lots of ritual preparations for the combat. That is the sort of
>'magician' that Harrek is.

But Harrek is a HeroQuester of such a magnitude that most of the time, he doesn't even have to think for those powers to come into effect.

Jean Durupt:

>In the short cults, Humakt is said to give the spell
>of fumble.
>I didn't find this spell description in Gods of
>Glorantha as indicated. I think that Humakt gives
>truesword instead.

Have you tried the Trickster Runespells? The fumble used to be Thed's spell but Stephen Martin cleaned up the cult for LoT. The Broos get Fumble from Humakt because (IMO) it represents the paroxysms of fear the victim experiences from being at Death's door.