Glorantha Digest V2 #170

From: Pete Nash <ancalagon_at_spiff.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 95 11:49:48 GMT

From: Chris Francis <fra_at_eatl.co.uk>
> On Peter Nash's campaign background:
> How did the last Humakti in Sartar become an assassin?
> (My apologies if this tramples the ground covered by
> the old Humakti debate)

I think the way our GM rationalises it is that he was is the last member of the Household Of Death. They had a frightening pact along the lines of "kick the Lunars out of Sartar or die trying".

Now this Humakti had been sent on a message delivery mission to Whitewall when the rest of us fought in the defense of Boldhome. Therefor he wasn't present when the (supposidly) last of the HOD fell on the battlefield. Added to the fact that his father and brother died in the battle, the Lunars had also taken control of the Humakti temple in the Sambarii capital (his home temple). The garrison commanders then desecrated the temple and being Yanafal Tarnils initiates, tried to convert it to YT's worship.

The Humakti was not a happy man. Thus he started a personal quest across the length and breadth of Sartar, killing every Yanafal initiate (generally Lunar officers in our campaign) he could find. News spread through the tribes of these mysterious murders. The Humakti used every trick and tactic he knew (like disguising himself in Lunar armour) to kill off the desecrating invaders, but finally failed at Boldhome. There he came face to face with the Lunar commander, who was a rune lord of YT. (Wow! What an epic fight!)

Us players had no idea that the assassin was a Humakti. We all thought it was a patriotic wind lord and couldn't conceive of a Sword doing such a thing - except by open challenge. When we finally found out who it was, the GM explained that 'No assassination' is actually a geas of Humakt. Not a normal part of Humakti psychology.

The way I rationalised it to myself was that in the end, at the most dramatic moment, Humakt left his follower and allowed him to be defeated by a YT rune lord! The loss of his leg would also make sure that he didn't forget the lesson... (I don't like the idea of Humakti being assassins either)

Pete Nash (Ancalagon_at_spiff.demon.co.uk)