Uleria for Her

From: Carlson, Pam <carlsonp_at_wdni.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 95 13:58:00 PDT

Marc asks about women in Uleria temples:

I think first you need to define what role Uleria serves in your Orlanthi society. Is she merely a goddess of female prostitutes? Why would the Orlanthi, who have very few prohibitions about sex, have so many prostitues that they need their own cult?
Is Uleria one of Glorantha's most ancient and universal deities, the universal source for all love? If so, why would her worship boil down to sex for male humans?

I've always felt that Uleria worship would included in Ernalda's. There might be a spring fertility festival giant love-fest for all adults on Uleria's day, or a "Children's Day", like David Dunham has in Ralios. (For a whole day, the children get to be boss, and the adults spend all day playing with them and giving them presents.) In my game, houses of prostitution are run by Issaries initiates.

If you do want to go with the more traditional interpretation of Uleria temples, put in male initiates for women. There is no reason in Orlanthi society why women shouldn't enjoy Uleria's magic as well. For that matter, the temples should be able to accomodate worshippers with alternate sexual preferences. Why would Uleria be picky?

>Would the priestess/acolyte talk the character not to forget that she has a
role to bear children?

Only if he also talks to the male characters about their responsibility to care for a family.

In Search of a More Equitable Glorantha -

Pam