Ancient Warfare References

From: James Wadsley <wadsley_at_cita.utoronto.ca>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 1995 19:40:10 -0400

Sandy Petersen and many others have written many interesting articles on warfare and in particular classification of troop units into the classes light and heavy and the "four classes" and so forth. Being rather poorly read on the subject I would very much appreciate some good references ( and hopefully not too difficult to find ). In particular, references to tactics and the relative effectiveness of troop types would be great. If you can also recommend some strategy/RPG games which treat the subject well I ( and perhaps others ) would appreciate it.

Thanks,
James Wadsley.