Re: KOW Mounted?

From: Kevin Rose <vladt_at_interaccess.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 1995 00:49:46 -0500 (CDT)

It's just occured to me, as I look over the regional description for Fronela, that something is quite odd about the description of the Kindom of War's troops. The Kingdom of War exploded out of the Black Forest in 1612, after being trapped in the ban for 113 years.

On the map this is a heavy forest, with some major hill/mountains in it.  Maybe I'm just missing something obvious here, but most forest types don't have cavalry, as it is next to useless in heavy forest. Heavy forest is infantry country.

For that matter, forest types won't tend to develop really effective missle weapons, as the maximium range you can shoot someone with a 40 pound short bow and a 80 pound long bow is still line of sight, probably less than 50 yards. The short bow kills just as dead, is easier to make, easer to shoot, and easier to carry.

So how do we have the last troll stronghold in Fronela, a dense forest (possiblly fairly rugged), producing an army of mounted warriors, much less mounted missle troops?

Kevin