Re:Illusion Magic

From: GAWINTER_at_aol.com
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 1995 10:39:44 -0400

Carl Fink says
> I will retract the jape "power gamer" in favor of "rule
>concretizer". As Sandy Petersen says, the rules should be fun, not
>"balanced" like a wargame.

The best reason for changing illusion magic as written, it is that the current rules are no fun at all. PCs rarely bother with them due to their cost & the whole concept of Eurmali being the masters of illusion magic is cast into doubt. If the Eurmal priests never cast illusions why do people think that they can. The only really radicall aspect of illusions is the touch component, leave that component expensive and lighten up A LOT on the others, then the Pupeteers become possible and an Illusion weaving Eurmali can exist beyond the odd parlor trick.

As this is the Glorantha list & not the rules list, what we should be talking about is to what extent does Illusion magic exist. There are VERY few Eurmal priests, how common in the stories of Trickster are Illusions? The Pupeteers are famous for it of course. Once we have agreement on how common & in what way Illusion magic exists in Glorantha the game mechanics become easy to adjust.