Re: KoW and Brithini and Loskalmi

From: Watson, Paul: EDM <watson.paul_at_ic.gc.ca>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 1995 12:32:59 -0400

Sandy P. wrote:
> The KoW knows that its rivals will eventually learn tactics
>that will neutralize the KoW's techniques. Its plan is to conquer
>so much of Fronela before that happens that they can rely on brute
>strength thereafter.

     I've been working on a Fronela campaign for quite some time now, and I have found this KoW thread very interesting. One factor I've been considering in an inevitable KoW/Loskalm clash is the elf reforestation.  G:CotHW states that most of Fronela outside Loskalm will be reforested.  Since I have only recently begun studying warfare in ancient times, I would like to pose this question to those more knowledgeable than I: How will this affect the KoW's strategy?

Sandy P. also wrote:
> Consider: almost no one else has been fighting wars during
>the Ban. Certainly sieges are almost unknown. What castles existed
>before the Ban are in disrepair. The KoW was fighting its formal
>wars through the Ban, and learning plenty of siege war tactics. They
>are among the best siege artists in Glorantha, let alone Genertela.
>Only the dwarfs and maybe the Kralori are rivals in this. I believe
>that the KoW are very nearly as skilled as the Romans in siegework.

     Perhaps I am reading things into the description of Jonatela given in G:CotHW which you are not. My view of them includes a fair bit of internal strife, with the nobility living behind strong fortifications. Naturally, I also view this strife as having continued unabated during the Ban. While this petty warfare doesn't compare with what the KoW can do, it would leave the Jonatings (and their fortresses) more prepared for an invasion than the Loskalmi. Of course, the Jonatings could ally with the KoW against Loskalm...

Any comments?

Paul

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #178