A Fine-Detail Tactical Question

From: Torres, Capt Timothy M <TORRESTM.HQAMC_at_MHS.SAFB.AF.MIL>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 1995 15:58 CDT

If I had control of a Gnome, large enough to surround my physical (human) form and leave a pocket of breathable air (with or without replenishable air supply), and if this Gnome were sufficiently intelligent to understand what I wanted (maybe I've put a lot of effort into making it a worthwhile familiar), would it be capable of transporting me underground (also assuming soft enough ground). (i.e., Does a Gnome move it's physical substance or does it's spirit pass from one piece of dirt to the next?)

If I could be transported this way, we now have to add consideration of "U-Boat tactics" to our land engagements anytime earth rune magicians are involved.

Just a thought . . . Tim