Children's reading

From: ANDOVER_at_delphi.com
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 1995 22:36:50 -0400 (EDT)

I'm not sure this subject belongs on this line, but as long as we are talking about it, two points:
1) A lot of books not theoretically for children, all the swashbuckling novels of the years 1890-1925 or so, ranging from The Prisoner of Zenda to Will James' cowboy stories, are not only great fun for kids eight and up, but also provide great plots for recycling, especially since most modern audiences don't
now them all that well.
2) I'm not sure about the suitability question when it comes even to young kids. We have a great picture of my son David intently reading The Silmarillion in the bathtub when he was four (!) years old. I have no idea what effect this had on him, or what he understood the stories to mean, but the only obvious bad effect was he has played games (rpgs, etc.) for the last 20 years! Jim Chapin