KoW

From: Troll <Troll_at_nochet.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 1995 10:34:02 GMT

> From: nxf_at_uniplex.co.uk (Nick Fortune)
>
> Apologies if I'm covering old ground here, but how about the cult of
> Black Arkat? That way you get the ZZ link, plus the possibility of
>
> From: POPEJ_at_cofc.edu
> Subject: KoW ala Tom Zunder
>
> Just wanted to register my agreement with Tom Zunder's evaluation of the
> Kingdom of War. The little that we're told about it in G:CotHW does make
> it sound like a stereotypical 'evil empire,' though without the depth of,
> say, a Mordor. Nor does recent speculation on the list make it sound more
> interesting--it seems like a wargamer's fantasy.

Thanks for the agreement. I support your abolition of the KoW, it is such an obvious cipher. However I think that with some wrk it could be made into a passable Mordor. It is this that would be fun, developing a Gloranthan (or sinisterly non-Gloranthan) rationale on which to hang the true dark horror of the KoW, Lord Death and Pookums.

Without being rude, Sandy P does have a wargamer's obsession with military theory, and every now and again this boils up in a fruitless discussion about troop types, strategies etc. Not that I object per se to this, I just like my military humbug ready prepared in a shrinkwrap with a list of regiments defined for my players to role-play in or as a nice and simple boardgame. I do wwargame too.

However, by trying to rationally discuss the KoW I think we miss the opportunity to use it as an epic device to build some stories around. I must say that David Hall is hitting on something good. I think the KoW is something truly WRONG with Glorantha, and I would certainly make the cult of the KoW be a mystery cult, with something truly unknowable behind it. (Hey this is the other bit of gaming that Sandy P is really cool at). I think that the time for a dark Gbaji is nigh, and KoW is a good starter for ten.

What do people say. Is it time to dot the libraries of the West with forbidden tomes that talk of just such a dark deceiver, of a black shadow leading the Void of unknowable chaos krjalki into the heart of the world as we know it? It'd take some work, but I think that this interpretaion of the KoW has some mileage in the build up to the Hero Wars that is a little more OTT than discussing infantry types..