Coffee

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 1995 13:47:47 +1300

Erik Sieurin:

>Now, how do you do cappucino with a Disruption spell?

The RQII spell description states that it increases randomn molecular movement in the target (ie the hot liquid gets shaken but not stirred).

>By the way,
>were in Glorantha do they drink cappucinos? Valind's Glacier (to keep
>warm)? Peloria ("aye, and the Loonar dagos do decadent things to their
>coffee - the right thing is of course to drink it black, or with 50%
>vodka, 50% coffee")? Esrolia?

My guess is that all good coffees are to be found in Fonrit. Historically the Muslims took up coffee drinking for want of a decent beverage due to the Qu'ran's prohibition of alcohol. (Fortunately, the use of Yat didn't take off as well). However I don't see Fonrit as prohibiting Alcohol for religious reasons. Instead I see them as disdaining it because of a strong ascetic streak that pervades their culture (ie the Pious Fonritan disdains the consumption of alcohol seeing in it a weakness of the spirit, the slaves drink it to drown out the horrors of their existance while the Rich Plutocracts have no such inhibitions being greedy, corrupt etc).

As for it spreading to other regions, the only decent coffee growing regions I can see in Genertela are Esrolia, the River of Cradles and Teshnos. I think Teshnos would be more into growing teas for the Kralorelan and Vormain markets whereas in the other two regions, the fad of caffeine consumption hasn't taken off.