KoW trigger

From: Andrew Joelson <joelsona_at_cpdmfg.cig.mot.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 1995 07:51:45 -0600

Sandy says:

> I believe that the KoW is the engine that drives the Hero Wars. The
> outreaching ramifications of its actions and cultural influence,
> will continue on to destroy...
> ......Consider Mr. Princeps, the Bosnian Serb who fired the
> bullet that killed ten million people. Who in England, Germany, or
> France had even heard of the Archduke Ferdinand or the Bosnian
> question?

        While I am not a close student of the causes of WW I, I was under the impression that the problems in Austria-Hungary/Yugolslavia 'sucked in' the other larger countries via treaty obligations. European tension where already running high; the sniper was the spark in the tinder.

        This situation does not appear to be mirrored in Glorantha at the time of the Hero Wars. Yes, tensions are running high in Fronela, and within the Lunar Empire. But the KoW's actions have no direct bearing on the struggles of Dragon Pass & Peloria. One never hear's of the Lunars (or Argrath) sending troops to Fronela. What is more, Sandy repeatedly states that the forces shown in the DP game are the vast majority of the Lunar Empire's professional army. Where is ther a connection between Fronela & Dragon Pass? It's not as if Harrek dropped everything in Sartar and went running home to fight the KoW.

        The closest analogy to the 'spark in the tinderbox' that I can see is that when most of the occupation army in Sartar was wiped out by a dragon, everybody said "Look! the Lunars are all dead!"; then everybody who didn't like the RMG jumped on the Argrath bandwagon....

                Andrew