languages

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 1995 16:48:59 +1300

Nicholas Marcelja:

> Has anyone made a language chart. meaning ..
> how closely related is Prax to Pavic to Sartar to ...

Somewhere in the archives of ftp.csua.berkeley.edu (the location is /pub/runequest/index/language.Z) is an old list of languages that someone has complied in the past. It's not complete in that it concentrates on Genertelan languages (which should make Scotty happy).

Hannu Kokko:

>Take a look at Glorantha Book page 33 Languages of Glorantha. It might
>not be comprehensive but it gives direction

The main thing left out that disturbs me is what language family is the speech of the Isles of Teleos in? Teshnan? Vithelan? Or its own?

Also the Janubian languages are left untreated.

Before I forget, a minor gregging. Although the people of Thrice Blessed are said to speak a unique language, I've noted that the Darjiin tales in the new edition of the Glorious ReAscent mention a group of people known as the eeola or 'singers' living in Darjiin during the Great Darkness. The similarity between this and Eol (name of Twice Blessed) leads me to think that the speech of Eol is merely another member of the Pelorian language family. I'm inclined to make it either remotely related (ie 1/10) to New Pelorian.