many things

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 1995 13:00:51 +1300

Peter Michaels:

>Now, it's MY turn to be startled. There was a trickster writeup in Heroes?!
>Please, where?

Um...er...well...let's see:

I was thinking of the issue of Heroes which had the full writeup of Orlanth and Hykim. In the index, it said Bolongo was also included but, as usual, this was only a mask...

Oops...

Andrew Behan:

> As I hope to start an Orlanthi campaign soon I've been wondering about
>the poetic formulae they use. You know the greetings to members of
>various cults and the little poems used when giving the various cultural
>gifts like the Salt Gift and Duty Gift.

With the Orlanthi emphasis on oral recitation, I think that metered verse is most commonly used (the type probably varies from region to region). Generally I wouldn't worry about the calibre of the poetry. These people aren't poetic geniuses after all.

Hasni Mubarak:

>Does anybody have any information about Seshnella and the islands around
>there that I could FTP for? I am running a campaign where I'm afraid to
>let the PC's off the boat---I'm afraid they might want to meet the
>people of Seshnella!

Since people have commented on Seshnela, I'll confine myself to the Isles.

KANTHOR'S ISLES: No humans live there. The main reason is the Luatha. These are Big Mean Ugly Crimson Critters who for some reaon hate humans. Everybody believes the God Learners are responsible for this hate, but nobody knows much about the Luatha. The Isles are wild and mysterious with dense bush covering the ancient God Learner Ruins.

If your players want to venture into here, use Sandy's Three Warnings to scare them off. There's only about twenty or so living at a castle nobody has ever seen. When your players think that all is quiet and try and slip into Kanthor's Isles, suddenly they become aware of a crimson glow in the distance etc.

PASOS ISLES: Cultivated Isles. My image of these are like the Mediterranean Isles of Corsica, Sardinia, the Balerics etc. They are excellent seafareres and fishers, but I strongly suspect the nobility are mainlanders from Nolos. Nolos is more like a city state than a duchy and my view of it is like historical Venice and Genoa.

GILBOCH (or is it Ginorth?): An Isle of Northmen. These people are from the Ygg's Isles near northern Fronela. They are very similar to Vikings so you could try the Vikings pack. Your players can find a temple to Orlanth and Humakt here. They are suppressed at the moment due to the naval activities of Pasos.

VADELI ISLES: Full of Brown Skinned Humans. These are the Brown Caste of the Infamous Vadeli Race, that reserves the right to Lie, Cheat and Steal. They are know to reproduce by incest and eat their own babies. The people there are poor fishers and merchants dominated by a few immensely wealthy and ancient families.

It's safe (compared with other port cities) to visit the Vadeli Isles, although the prices they charge are exhorbiant. The Brown Vadeli are eager to please and are docile and submissive at the personal level. However they value little an sworn oath, and generally break their own word and betray the other person if they can see an advantage. The Red Vadeli are vicious pirates and occasionally seen in the region.

The Vadeli are found on the mainland although they are confined to walled ghettos where they can only come out for express purposes of moneylending - forbidden to orthodox Rokari. There are more Vadeli Isles (the New and the Red) but they are somewhat further away from Seshnela.

>Oh, and just as another note, what types of Lunar presence is there in
>the West? Next to none? I assume that the Red Moon is there
>though...right?

The people of the Red Vadeli Isles (on the far side of the Brithos Sea) are widely assumed to be connected to the Red Moon. Presumably the Luatha are as well. These rumours are known by the wise to be totally false and without foundation.

Chris Graham:

>What's the various prices could you expect to pay for different herd
>beasts in Prax? In RQII the only animal listed for sale was horses at
>around 100L. Would a bison actually cost the same as a zebra I
>think not?

There was a detailed price list in Pavis: Gateway to Adventure.