Re: Beast prices

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idgecko.idsoftware.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 95 14:04:53 -0600

>What's the various prices could you expect to pay for different herd
>beasts in Prax? In RQII the only animal listed for sale was horses
>at around 100L. Would a bison actually cost the same as a zebra
>think not?

        Okay. First off you must remember that hardly any Praxians have any money at all, nor all that much use for it, so you're going to have to do most of your trading in the form of barter and payment in kind. The Praxians, of course, have a very keen eye for the qualities of each beast. Think of an amerind, gypsy, cowboy, or cossack going out to horse-trade. It's as much entertainment as it is an attempt to make a profit.

        Note that a bison would cost far less than a zebra, all things considered. The zebras have to be specially-bred (they're sterile) from different dams and studs, and they're hard to train for riding. Bison are common as dirt.

        If you're buying a riding animal, a food animal, or a war animal, the prices will differ colossally.

Let's put it this way. A typical "middle-class" nomad warrior requires a herd of approximately 50 sables (mostly cows) to support his family in reasonable style, plus produce sufficient beasts for riding and warfare. Based on the "5-year rule" (a property can normally be sold for about as much money as it brings in in 5 years), a typical untrained cow sable, suitable for breeding and milking only, is going to cost 5/50 (i.e., 10%) of the rider's yearly upkeep, which is 100-200 pennies or the equivalent.

        A riding beast, which takes 2+ seasons to train, would cost enormously more, depending on age and health. A young, fit beast, trained to be ridden, would probably cost at least 25% more than the training costs. Figure 100-200p for the basic beast's price, plus training cost for one man spending 1/5 a year = another 300 or so, plus 25% more to make it 350-400, makes a total of 400-700p or thereabouts.

        A warbeast costs even more, of course. Probably takes at least a year to train, which adds another 500-600 training cost, plus 25% for another 150 or so. Then you have to add in costs for the animal's skills in fighting and experience. If we assume the animal just has its base chances, but at least will attack on command when ridden, then it woudl cost the same as a riding beast plus another 500-800 pennies -- total cost 900-1500 pennies for a war sable.

        Impalas, which breed fast and don't need as much war training (they need some, but you don't need to teach them to head butt, etc.) would be cheaper. A high llama, which takes longer to mature, would cost a little more, but the training prices would be similar, so the overall cost isn't that much more for a warbeast. Ditto rhinos.

        And few Praxians would sell a riding or warbeast to a person who wasn't a member of their tribe. They might sell a riding beast to someone who was a foreigner (i.e., not Praxian).

>Herd men the same price as zebras

        Herd men cost more because they take _forever_ to mature. A herd woman can have a calf every year, and they're not limited to a particular rutting season, so that's an advantage, but since it takes 14 or more years to mature, high prices are charged. They're worth it, though, since they also live much longer useful lives than most other beasts. A well-kept herd man generally outlives its master (Morocanth are not as long-lived as humans).