Raven

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cs.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 1995 10:01:04 +0800

        Just to stick my couple of clacks into the Raven debate, I think I side with Metcalfe rather than Michaels.

        What do we know about Raven?
        He is associated with Darkness, vaguely.
        He is one of the 3 Feathered Rivals - he defeats Thunderbird and is
defeated by the Sun Hawk, I think.
        He steals things. In Nomad Gods, this is his main function.

        Do any of these suggest shapechanging particularly? Not to me. And I
am pretty sure the other 2 Feathered Rivals are not associated with shapechanging.

        But the stealing suggests the Thief aspect of trickster, and the darkness is vaguely suggestive of something like conceal. He is also connected with Ravens Stepladder which is connected with invisibility.

        I would make the main Raven spell either Conceal or Dark Walk, myself.

        As an aside, I have an NPC in my game who is a Raven initiate Trickster. I assumed that, while Raven may be worshipped as a more or less normal spirit cult, that there are also Praxian Tricksters who worship Raven in the normal Trickster fashion, and thus might also worship other Praxian Tricksters such as Hyena (who probably grants Group Laughter).

        Cheers

                David
Computing Officer    |" Life is easily understood as bit strings of logical
Arts Faculty UWA     |depth greater than their length" - Rebis, Doom Patrol
davidc_at_cs.uwa.edu.au |" Do not think, HIT, it is our way" - Milk & Cheese
>Microsoft, meanwhile, denies that the problem exists.

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #201