Re: Rokari 'n' stuff

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idgecko.idsoftware.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 95 14:47:42 -0600

Mike Cule
>The idea of using Gnomes as a sort of underground submarine was
>quashed by Sandy saying that they couldn't enclose a body of air
>within themselves.

        They can still be used for certain things. For example: you could transport someone that was under the influence of XU's Healing Trance spell, since they're practically in suspended animation. Your suggestion of using Skin of Life works fine, too.

        The major problem with letting gnomes carry folks willy-nilly is of course that it makes Glorantha so unlike Earth (walls and castles become useless, natural obstacles mostly go away) that it would harm GMs.

Me
> [Rokari] are the heart and soul of the Rokari sect of Malkionism,
>which is to Malkionism as Roman Catholicism is to Christianity.
>I.e., the most numerous and perhaps the oldest sect.

Nicky
>Hmm... There are also comparisons with Lutheran Protestants, in
that >the Rokari Church was born out of a Reformation of the corrupted >post-God Learner church of Seshnela, as a deliberate "Back to >Basics" movement.

        Yes, but there is no real trace of the pure original church left, at least not as a major force. Perhaps a happier analogy might be the Orthodox church, with its periodic iconoclastic riots. If we look at the Rokari Reformation as a sort of purging effort that took root and displaced the original church, my point of view may be clearer. What I'm trying to say here is that the Rokari sect is in the Catholic faith's position prestige-wise. It is derived from the olden ways, and that it is the sect to which all other Malkioni sects must, ultimately, deal with. Some may respect the Rokari, some may hold them in contempt, or defer to them, or openly hate them, but a number of other Malkioni sects define themselves largely by how they differ from the Rokari. Of course, they wouldn't see it this way.

        While the Hrestoli may claim to be as old as the Rokari, their own recent revolution in religion was, by their beliefs, larger and purer than the Rokari. I picture the Rokari as believing they purified their old ways, while I see the Hrestoli as believing that they turned _from_ the old ways to the new. Hence, the Hrestoli view the Rokari as exemplars of the Bad Old Church, while the Rokari see the Hrestoli more as apostates than heretics.

Sandy P.