Re: KoW

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idgecko.idsoftware.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 95 15:13:16 -0600

Andrew
>While I am not a close student of the causes of WW I, I was under
>the impression that the problems in Austria-Hungary/Yugolslavia
>'sucked in' the other larger countries via treaty obligations.
>European tension where already running high; the sniper was the
>spark in the tinder.

        In some ways, WWI was one of the least inevitable wars of modern times. Its roots go clear back to the 1880s in the Balkans and in tensions growing there that culminated in Gavrilo. When Princeps shot the Archduke, nobody thought that it would lead to a general war. Not the Serbs, not the Austrians, not anybody. It just growed, like Topsy.

>This situation does not appear to be mirrored in Glorantha at the
>time of the Hero Wars. Yes, tensions are running high in Fronela,
>and within the Lunar Empire. But the KoW's actions have no direct
>bearing on the struggles of Dragon Pass & Peloria. One never hears
>of the Lunars (or Argrath) sending troops to Fronela.

        Because of a minor squabble over the fate of Bosnia, French, British, Germans, Americans, Italians, and even Japanese died in combat. None of them had sent troops to the Balkans to participate in the local wars. Only Russia and Austria had done so, and they only to a minimal extent, not leaving behind any military presence.

        The KoW is significant not only because it incubates the seed of the Hero Wars (all this IMO), but because it is magically important -- Gloranthan politics and Earthly politics overlap a great deal, but there is an entire Otherworld sitting out there to be taken into account. Near the end of the Empire of the Wyrm's Friends, the EWF took apparently highly irrational actions. But in fact, these actions made sense once you realized what they were trying to accomplish.

>What is more, Sandy repeatedly states that the forces shown in the
>DP game are the vast majority of the Lunar Empire's professional
>army. Where is ther a connection between Fronela & Dragon Pass?

        Where does Dragon Pass come into this? The Hero Wars are spread across the entire cosmos, from the East Isles and Kralorela to Umathela and the Nargan. Dragon Pass, IMO, isn't even the most important site of the war, nor its outcome the most decisive.

Sandy Petersen