The Tricky One

From: Argrath_at_aol.com
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 1995 20:42:34 -0500

In a message dated 95-11-14 00:33:55 EST, Erik Sieurin writes:

>Talkin' Trickster with Martin Crim:
>> In Digest V2 #198, Erik Sieurin complained of not having the official yet
>> unpublished Trickster/Eurmal write-up. I happen to know it has made it to
>> your side of the pond, Erik, so a little discrete asking-around should
turn
>> it up.
>Uh, please explain further. "My side of the pond?" Does that mean
>EUROPE or SWEDEN? "Made it?" Does that mean it has been A, published
>in a 'zine, B, given out to some local dignitary (like, say, if you
>MEAN Sweden, Jonas or Michael?)? Was my complaint that horrible?

Pond = Atlantic. It's in Europe, circulated in the same form it has in the U.S., courtesy of the great god Xerox. Not a horrible complaint, but I try to avoid violating the copyright laws, since it's hard for me to argue that I didn't know it was illegal.

>When it comes to Trickster shrines, I must rephrase my earlier
>opinions: I now think that a Trickster shrine IS a Trickster Priest,
>... I don't think they change aspects too often, unless the "priest" himself
>changes his attitudes ...

It's hard to generalize about a god who does his damnedest to avoid being consistent, but I think SOME trickster "priests" function as shrines. Then there are holy objects and holy places which function more like normal shrines, and of course the odd (very odd) random blessing/curses from those who emulate one of Trickster's aspects.

>>Many Eurmali are involuntary initiates, having been forced into the role
>> by the needs and prejudices of the community. ...
>This gets interesting when the local bum suddenly knows spells and
>strikes back at the community with nasty surprises. ...

Excellent. It's one of the hazards of living in Glorantha. I'd divide trickster initiates into 3 groups: the defectives, who are mostly involuntary; the mean bastards, who are mostly voluntary; and the fun-loving (THEIR idea of fun, anyhow), who mostly inherit the job.

> (BTW, consider the opposite, the son of the local
>Trickster who wants to become something hideously SERIOUS and
>DUTYFILLED, or simply NORMAL!! HE*LL have troubles, both from his kin
>and other people! Remember the Monty Python sketch about the artist whose
>son run away to become a coal miner?)

Yes. "Get out, you LABORER!" A classic.