A few more tricksterish thoughts...

From: PMichaels_at_aol.com
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 1995 15:28:10 -0500

Hi Folks!

My 'bro Metcalf sees Kazkurtum as "the Evil Dark Emperor... to whom one makes Faustian Bargains of Worldly Riches but forsakes Heaven forever."

I base my belief of him as a Trickster on a couple of things.

First, in the Fright aspect section of the Trickster writeup, an incarnation is mentioned who begins a reign of terror in Peloria. He is credited with being so scary he "frighten(s) off even trolls for a while, then succumb(s) to his own fears." The only Emperor which seems to fit the bill for me is Kazkurtum.

Next, look at what Kaz does (according to The Fortunate Succession). He makes the Dara Happan people do "unnatural things," such as eat mushrooms, have pleasurable sex, enjoy being artistic, scorn leaders, and shamelessly run around naked. Harldy "worldly riches" sort of stuff, or even "evil" except to uptight anal-retentive sexually repressed patriarchial extremists.

(OK, sure, some of the stuff he did was more harmful, like making some people hate children, seek cruelty, kill relatives, and reject the gods. But still... it all sounds more Trickster in his Destroyer/Murderer role than Wakboth or Ragnaglar.)

Lastly, FS states that, "The Power of the Empty Emperor is that there is No Center." That DEFINITELY sounds like Trickster to me!

IMO there are three culturally important incarnations of Trickster in Dara Happa. Kaz embodies the Fright, Dismembered, and Destroyer aspects. Umatum is the Murderer. Rankenveg is the Seducer and Sexual Insatiate.

Now, some of you may ask, "What about Rebellus Terminus?"

He is a Lunar deity, who (IMO) represents the Murderer and Destroyer. The Dara Happan gods Umatum and Kazkurtum are probably both seen as incarnations of him by the Lunars.

Peace,

     Peter